Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Home Cooked Vittles- TX Food Part V

Texas has a ton of restaurants! Of course, so does any city in America. But seriously... no one should go out to eat for every meal, every single day (although I know a family who does). So head sized donuts, BBQ, Chuy's, and Muellers aside, we did have several meals at home. First off, I learned that anything can be put in a tortilla at breakfast! Ohhh, I need a post about TX tortillas. They were unlike any I've ever had! Eggs, bacon, cheese, and some green saucy stuff were perfect for breakfast. Another breakfast that we had was the aforementioned ingredients AND extra hottie from the night before! Delish. It reminded me of chorizos and eggs from my time in Idaho. Yum. Tex Mex. This might sound like a racial slur, but it's actually a delicious food category! It's got influences from Texas cooking infused with influences from 'ole Mexico. No clue what any of those influences were, but they were there. One big thing was the use of lime! I LOVE LIME (fresh, always fresh) in Tex Mex food now. We had a black bean salad the first night we came in. It had red bell pepper, onion, tomato, lime, cilantro, black beans, other stuff... all cut up tiny and slammed into a tortilla. That was topped with cheese AND THE BEST RANCH I'VE EVER HAD. It was zesty ranch or something. I'm going to have to figure out what that was... I just remembered it. I'll have to scour the aisles at Safeway on my way home. Finally, dessert. Now I think I mentioned somewhere that dessert is perfectly fine to be served at every meal. Did you hear that? Even breakfast. I totally support this. One dessert that we had was sopapilla cheesecake. Oh wow... have you ever had an elephant ear? Well I hate them. But I do like sopapillas, which are deep fried tortillas dipped in cinnamon sugar. Well thing of those as crust and cheesecake on top. Yep, delish. Another dessert, and probably my favorite if you really know me, were Barbara Bush's Chocolate Chip cookies. First off, they have oatmeal and that's my fave (never in a bowl like mush, just in cookies!). Second of all, the recipe made like 500 (or just like 76) and we took a bagful of them home to munch on... we never handed that bag back to the kids! M and I ate them alllll over the 3 day drive. 5 here, 3 here, 6 when we got out of New Mexico safely in celebration.... you know the drill. This post may end my TX food reviews. I still have many more things to write on.... so stay tuned!

0 comments: